In recent years piercing of the lips, tongue and cheeks has become popular with the younger generation. There are serious health risks involved that should be taken into consideration.
- Infections can be bacterial and may involve the surrounding tissues. A sever swelling of the tongue could cause a blocking of the air-way. A viral infection such as hepatitis or HIV can also be transmitted.
- Bleeding can be a complication as the mouth is a very vascular region.
- Inhaling a piece of loose jewelry into the lungs can lead to major surgery.
- Fracture of teeth coming into contact with a hard piece of jewelry can easily lead to expensive dental treatment.
- Drooling, nerve damage, and speech impairments.
- Keeping the pierced area clean is essential in preventing any infections. The mouth is a harbour for many bacteria and the puncturing of any part of the oral cavity can introduce these bacteria into the blood stream and the vital organs of the body.